The Savile Club
Client: The Savile Club
Created in the 1890s by JP Morgan’s sister, this plain fronted building contains a sumptuous array of French interiors including numerous bedrooms, reception rooms and two grand staircases. Occupied by the Savile Club since 1927, the past decade has seen an intensive programme of restoration, refurbishment and development involving over fifty separate projects in every area of the building, all carefully planned to minimise disruption to the running of the Club. Within the fine rooms, meticulous paint analysis has been undertaken and the original decorative schemes are being restored with the cooperation of the 69 Brook Street Trust, a charity created to monitor and assist with the work. Elsewhere services have been replaced and lighting redesigned, twenty-five bedrooms refurbished or created and hitherto forgotten areas opened up for general use. In tandem, the Club’s extensive art and furniture collections have been carefully restored and redeployed. Completing rooms which balance the expectations of tradition with contemporary delight remains the principal, and most enjoyable, challenge of the project.