100 Pall Mall
Client: Standard Life Investments
Constructed in 1959 to replace bomb-damaged property, the existing building was designed by the renowned classicist, Donald McMorran, and was listed in 1995 as a leading example of elegantly-stripped post-war architectural classicism. The original interiors had been much altered and had become stylistically outdated. The reception hall and common parts were therefore entirely re-imaged to a standard commensurate with one of the most distinctive addresses in St James’s. Inserting Pall Mall-facing windows into the blind walls of the reception was a particularly interesting listed building challenge. Highly attractive penthouse office accommodation was created within the steeply pitched roof, several vacant office floors were refurbished, new lavatories were constructed and extensive plant replacement and relocation was undertaken, all whilst the building remained in occupation.